The authors of this systematic review explored the currently available literature on artificial intelligence (AI) and radiomics applied to molecular imaging of prostate cancer. Due to the great promise that nuclear medicine holds regarding improving the quality of life for prostate cancer patients, this study looks at the myriad areas in which AI and radiomics can positively be applied to nuclear medicine and the detection and treatment of prostate cancer.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and radiomic applied to nuclear medicine provide great help in prostate cancer.
- AI-based methods can improve the magnetic resonance imaging-based attenuation correction.
- AI-based fully automatic tissue segmentation is reaching high accuracy for metastasis detection.
- Radiomic features have the potential to predict tumor aggressiveness better than standardized uptake value.
- Neural networks might even be used to simplify dosimetry for theragnostic applications.
Authors: Virginia Liberini, Riccardo Laudicella, Michele Balma, Daniele G. Nicolotti, Ambra Buschiazzo, Serena Grimaldi, Leda Lorenzon, Andrea Bianchi, Simona Peano, Tommaso Vincenzo Bartolotta, Mohsen Farsad, Sergio Baldari, Irene A. Burger, Martin W. Huellner, Alberto Papaleo & Désirée Deandreis